Document purposeThis document is intended to provide a non-technical audience with an understanding of the Online Card Payment end-user journey. Note: For illustrative purposes the Canvas app has been used to demonstrate the end-user functionality of the SDK.
About the Online Card Payment end-user journeyA customer using their card to shop online is required to perform SCA (exemptions may apply).
The Online Card Payment workflow
The Online Card Payment end-user journey
Step 1 – Customer shopping on merchant’s website
Step 2 – Enter card details
- Long card number
- Card expiry date
- CVV Number (Card Verification Value)
Step 3 – Transaction outcome
- Success – continue to Step 4 – Success screen.
- SCA required – continue to Step 5 – Authentication choice screen displayed.
- Fail – return to the merchant’s online checkout to re-enter the card details.
Step 4 – Success screen
Step 5 – Authentication choice screen displayed
- Authenticate via app
- Authenticate with OTP via SMS (no change to existing journey)
- Authenticate with OTP via Email (no change to existing journey)
Step 6 – Customer chooses authentication typeThe customer chooses how they would like to authenticate the transaction: Via App – continue to Step 7 – Authenticate via app screen displayed.
Step 7 – Authenticate via app screen displayed
The Authenticate via app screen is displayed instructing the customer to open the Canvas app. The customer may receive a push notification (if enabled). Continue to Step 8 – Authenticate via App.
Step 8 – Authenticate via app
Now in the journey, the customer is presented with the Authorise card payment screen.
Step 9 – Other Authentication
The customer is able to select ‘other authentication’ to be presented with alternative SCA actions to complete
Step 10 – Confirmation screen
Returning to the Visa screen, the customer selects Confirm to complete the journey.
Step 11 – Error/Transaction cancelled
If the verification fails, there are two outcomes:
- Error screen – continue to Step 12 – Error screen.
- Transaction cancelled – continue to Step 13 – Transaction cancelled.
Step 12 – Error screen
The Error screen is displayed, and the transaction is terminated.
Step 13 – Transaction cancelled
The transaction is cancelled, and the customer is taken back to the merchant’s screen.